Tuesday, May 1, 2012

It's Prom Night - That Boy is Kinda Cute

If you haven’t noticed, it is that time of year when highschool students get all dressed up for their Junior/Senior Proms. Some girls spend big money on their glamorous gowns and getting their hair & nails done. Boys rent tuxedos to match their dates. They book limos, make dinner reservations, dance, and often plan for post-prom fun. Of course, there are always those who can’t wait to hear the announcement of Prom King & Queen. Around here, it would be best to avoid nice restaurants on a Saturday night and wouldn’t be odd to see several limos on the road.

Last weekend, Matt’s cousin (Samantha) went to her Junior Prom. We weren’t able to be there to see her off but look at this picture of her – isn’t she lovely?


This past weekend was Matt’s baby sister’s Senior Prom. She spent the entire day prepping for her evening and she looked absolutely beautiful. She even wore sparkly converse instead of heels – classic Katie – beautiful AND practical. Love it. We got manis/pedis in the morning, her best friend (Taylor) curled her hair (sacrificing her fingers in the process), and Kayti and Taylor tag-teamed her make up. I guess I was there to play photographer and for emotional support? Either way, Matt and I were excited to be a part of her day.

 As she was getting all dolled up, I couldn’t help but look back at our prom in highschool. Both of them are special to us.

Matt and I weren’t dating for our Junior Prom, but we went with the same group of friends. He considers that night to be the night I caught his attention. He paid for my dinner at Maggiano’s and I was caught off guard – when I later told my mom she responded by telling me he liked me but I was insistent that he was “just a nice guy!”. Matt was crowned “Prom King” that year and he let me wear his crown in the limo on our way home – I was the only one he would let wear it, I later learned. After that night Matt began pursuing a relationship with me. Although that was in April and we didn’t start “officially” dating until September, something was special about that night – who knew that we’d be saying “I do” so many years later?

This picture is right after Matt was crowned Prom King – it is our very first picture together.
By the time our Senior Prom came around, Matt and I were crazy about each other and had been together for about 7 months. We had a great time with our friends – dancing, riding in our limo, and eating dinner at Chart House. Our moms were there to snap pictures of us in Eagle Harbor before we left. After prom, Matt’s mom and Mike made breakfast for us and some friends. Around that time, we were just a few weeks away from graduation and planning for college at UCF. Senior Prom was a big deal and it is so special to look back and see where we’ve come since then. 
                                    
 I am so thankful that God created us for one another and that we were able to meet and begin our relationship at the age that we did. We were able to experience so many memories together that will always be a part of getting us to where we are today. It is so important to be open to God’s leading because you never know what He has planned for you. I never imagined, as I got dressed up for my Junior Prom, that I would catch the eye of my future husband that night – I could have never picked a more wonderful man or a more perfect love story.

1 comment:

Michelle Stoker said...

so sweet!!! I didn't know Matt was Prom King! That's awesome. :) David and I got to go to two proms together, too... such great memories!!