Saturday, June 9, 2012

Treasure Hunting


Well, if you must know, I played hooky from work Wednesday. &, if you must know, it was a scheduled and approved day off in which I used my valuable and well-earned PTO (paid time off) – so, I don’t know that you can actually call it “playing hooky” but I do because it makes me feel bad to the bone. Kidding. What I do love, though, is that I have finally earned & saved up PTO and I have the ability to use a day like this – I am certainly blessed to have the job that I do!


It turns out that Matt had the day off too (okay, yes, that was planned) so we got to spend the entire day together without commitments or interruptions. Pure Bliss.


I got to watch Kelly Ripa’s morning show – I remember when she joined Regis’s show & it became ‘Regis & Kelly’! We ate breakfast at Village Bread CafĂ© – they make the biggest omelets I’ve ever seen (enough for two) and they are delicious enough that even a non-egg-eating person such as myself likes them!


After breakfast we ventured off on our treasure hunt, as we called it, and we did find treasures! We visited the Avonlea Antique Mall, the Antique Market, and some other consignment/antique/one-of-a-kind shops. We were on the hunt for something good. I love unique, old treasures that have a story behind them. It’s better when I get the pleasure of knowing its past & dirty little secrets, but still wonderful even if I don’t. Sometimes it doesn’t have to be an antique or even old – just intriguing and one-of-a-kind.


We found an old cigar box in one of the booths. We didn’t buy it but it smelled delightful and had a cool stamp/seal on the bottom. We took a picture so that we can look it up and see what it’s all about. Maybe it will be the king of all treasures and we will go back and get it. It would be perfect for storing little love notes – it even has a lock for those messages of sweet nothings that are for ‘your eyes only’. We also drooled over some gorgeous china cabinets. That’s a one-day purchase.


Well, some of you may know that we are working to get our decorate on and get our home looking just right. Some of you may also know that I have this love for old windows, shutters and doors – and all the creative things that can come from them (my college roommates would especially know this)! We found bunches of those treasured finds, but many were out of our price range. We DID find two matching, 6-pane windows that are oldies but goodies. We need to sand off some mold and touch up the paint, but they will hang side-by-side over our delicious aqua buffet/server in our dining room. We may use the glass panes to display pictures. Ohh dear, yes.


We finished up our evening with a trip to Whole Foods (we even found a treasure there – sesame sticks! Those are a favorite of mine – I loved them growing up!) – Matt reeeaaallly tried to get us to buy matching TOMs (since he’s never had a pair and mine are still MIA). I have to admit it was tempting, but since we are financially responsible human beings (most of the time), we resisted. When we got home, we painted some shelves and frames for our living room. They still need a little love, but I will have to take a picture of the finished product.




French toast was for dinner, made on our new Calphalon griddle (it was FREE! It was one of those registry incentives – we also got some free surprises from J.A. Henckels and some from Keurig on the way. Thanks Bed, Bath & Beyond – and the people who bought us wonderful gifts from our registry!) & watched a movie before bed – really, we fit ALL that into one day and still had time to watch a movie.




I felt like the day was long and full of fun and I didn’t think about work one time. It is just what I needed and my love tank is officially FULL. Whew! The good news is that it is already the weekend!

No comments: