Saturday, February 16, 2013

Our Trip to Washington DC - Part 3


It was our last day in DC and we knew we couldn’t leave without seeing Arlington National Cemetery. Oh my goodness, you guys – did you know it was GIGANTIC? I had no idea how big it was! Or how many hills there would be – my tooshy was getting a work out, that's for sure. We saw the tomb of the unkown soldier, the Kennedy family gravesite, and Robert E. Lee’s home.





Yeah. His house – just sitting in the middle of the cemetery. I didn’t know the story and maybe you don’t either so I will enlighten you. Apparently, the confederate army was responsible for the death of a union Quartermaster General's son. In his distress and anger, the union general ordered for his son and any other fallen soldiers to be buried on General Lee's land. You can imagine Mrs. Lee's horror when she spotted gravesites in her rose garden. Ultimately, Lee's family sold the land to the government & they continue to restore his family's home for people to tour. It is filled with beautiful antique furniture (much of it original) - My Mamaw would have loved it.




After our time at the cemetery, we ate lunch at a restaurant called Zoup! Hello - it was amazing. Basically, they have 12+ different soups a day for you to sample and order - they also offer salads and sandwiches to go with it. It was exactly what I needed to warm up my insides. Instead of getting something to go WITH my cup of soup, I got 2 cups of soup instead - Curry Butternut Squash & Creamy Chicken Pot Pie. Matt got a Mexican Chicken soup and a half sandwich. I pretty much want to eat there every day.

We spontaneously stopped by the Old Post Office building and rode up the tower to look at the city from an incredible view. I loved that. I heard Donald Trump has purchased that building though so I am pretty sure next time we go, it will be a hotel. We will see!




Next up - the White House! If ONLY we could have gone inside to tour it. That would have been so neat to see! We applied for the tour (it's like a whole process), but it was a no-go. I am guessing they had the reigns a little tight with the inauguration coming up. In fact, all of the risers and stages, etc kind of blocked our view of the House of White (you know, where Snow lives. Snow White. Don't ask - it's been a long day). ANYWAY - but we went around and snapped this photo. We were fans.



After that, we swung by the National Gallery of Art. At first we thought that Michelangelo's David was on loan for us to see but we soon realized it was actually his David-Apollo that was on loan. Still cool, I'm not going to lie. We weren't there for long - just long enough to see that sculpture - which means, obviously, that we missed out on much, much more to see!



Whew! Another long (but great) day under our belts. I was ready to eat dinner in and relax in our hotel room - which was good because Matt had plans that night so I didn't have a choice.

~

You guys, I really tried to make this only 3 posts long but I just have so much to share with you! Instead of giving you a really long post, I decided to split it one more time. Number 4 is on the way! & it's great because you get see the beautiful bride & groom!

No comments: