Sunday, February 3, 2013
Our Trip to Washington DC – Part 1
As many of you know, Matt & I had the wonderful blessing of a little vacation to Washington DC before going over to Delaware for a beautiful wedding. Granted, it was one of those vacations that was so busy you come back needing a vacation from your vacation BUT it was an absolute blast!
After a whopping 4 hours of sleep, Matt and I didn’t quite rise-and-shine but rise we did. It was dark outside and 4:30 AM but I think the excitement from our trip kept us chipper and we put as little effort as necessary into our appearance so we were socially acceptable. We quickly loaded our luggage into the car (with our Mr. & Mrs. luggage tags from our honeymoon) and we were off! Not too far – just to Matt’s parents so we could transfer vehicles and be chauffeured to the airport to catch our 7 AM flight. Thank the Lord for Starbucks, am I right? I knew I needed to start pumpin’ that espresso right away!
Upon boarding the plane I asked why there weren’t any cup holders for my latte and within minutes, I was out like a light! Less than 2 hours later we were landing in Washington DC and about to conquer the Metro. We were newbs and it is easy to get confused – red line, orange line, day pass, smart pass, this way, that way – but I am proud to say that only ONCE did we get on the wrong train our entire trip. Those things are fast! Here, let me share with you the picture that made us look like complete tourists, I am sure:
After we arrived at our metro stop, we began our long and horrendous hike to our hotel dragging behind our luggage. Okay, it was only a block or two away but man, 45 pounds of luggage can get heavy fast! We stayed at a really cute boutique hotel called Hotel Lombardy, located on Pennsylvania Ave. My honey did a good job finding it for us – he knows my stipulations and always takes care of that kind of stuff for us. Anyways – it’s cute right? It even had a doorman – oh, and free apples!
By this time it was around 10:30 AM and although it felt like lunch time for us, it was still breakfast for the rest of the world (well, I guess not the WHOLE world). We ate at this wonderful restaurant called Founding Farmers that was just across the street from our hotel. It was so cute – sort of hip – and their menu included farm-grown and organic food which happened to be DELCIOUS. It quickly became a favorite and we ate there 3 times on our trip.
We decided to ride into the city and check out one of the Smithsonian museums – American History. It was neat walking through and seeing all sorts of things from our country both historical and pop-culture.
BUT I have to be honest with ya’ll, I was SO tired. By the time we left there (and we only left out of sheer exhaustion and not because we had even scratched the surface of what there was to see), it was 2:30 PM. If you only know one thing about me, know that I need sleep. I REQUIRE it. And oh my dear, at this point I had been up for 10 hours running off of 4 hours of sleep! The excitement from the trip that kept me chipper that morning? Gone. The espresso in my latte that got me to the afternoon? Gone. The only thing I wanted was a bed. Heck, I didn’t need a bed, or even a pillow, I could have literally laid down on the museum floor and been out within seconds. My poor Matt – I know I was acting like such a brat! So being the good hubby that he is, he hurried me back to the hotel and, without changing into pj’s or so much as saying “goodnight”, I was under the covers asleep not to be disturbed for the next 3 hours.
Thank GOODNESS I had that nap because otherwise I would have never made it through our Monuments by Moonlight tour that night!! We grabbed a sandwich and, um, more coffee and headed to our tour.
You guys – it was AWESOME. For 3 hours we rode on a trolley all around the city. We stopped at the memorials/monuments for about 30 – 40 minutes at a time and I felt like we got to see so much more than we would have had we walked or even gone on a tour in the day. There were way fewer people and everything was lit up and beautiful. The weather was perfect. Love, love, loved it.
We were on a trolley of roughly 20 people and of everyone on the bus, Matt & I were the only two people who weren’t NYU law students. Yep. I worried it might be awkward (I so just wanted to say aca-akward, you guys. I am just SUCH a fan of Pitch Perfect right now!) but it was totally fun.
Well, there was one awkward moment as long as we are being honest and come on, lesbehonest (I’m doing it again). One of the girls noticed that we are obviously the cutest couple on the face of the earth and, after having us share our proposal story to the entire group of people, promptly laid herself across both of our laps for a photo to remember us forever – LOL! Oh well – what’re ya gonna do?
Stay tuned - I will share more about our amazing trip in the next couple of posts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment