Sunday, March 10, 2013

On This Day Last Year


Can you believe it? I really just can’t believe that it has already been 1 year since the day Matt & I stood before our friends and family, made vows to each other & became husband and wife. I can’t believe it.

March 9, 2012 – the day before we said “I do”

We were able to begin our set-up the day before (so thankful for that) and so many loved ones came from near and far to help us in any way that they could. Rough estimate, I would say we had about 30 people there and I am so thankful that we did.

I felt overwhelmed – by the love of so many and by the fact that I was getting married the next day. It was finally starting to sink in and really “hit me”. I remember a few times feeling lightheaded and almost dizzy, often asking people to repeat their questions about what my vision entailed – “where do you want this? What should I do next?”. It was an overwhelmed feeling that I had never experienced – I didn’t know if it was joy or worry or excitement or stress – or all of the above. I didn’t know if I should smile or cry. All I knew is that I was thankful to have so many helping hands so that I could just breathe.

That night was the rehearsal and with the peace of knowing everything was “ready” and after having a day to digest it all, my overwhelmed emotion quickly turned to pure excitement. Loved ones began to arrive and we walked through what the ceremony would look like. I tried to visualize my wedding dress and a church filled with guests in the pews – what would I feel like? Would I cry? Would I be nervous?

The rehearsal dinner followed and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. We were able to give gifts of thanks to our wedding party and parents. We were able to share a meal all around one table. We were able to just be excited and celebrate together. Oh, and we were able to have some amazing tiramisu.

March 10, 2012 – Our Wedding Day

After an almost sleepless night, I woke up to my mom exclaiming that it was my wedding day & time to get up! I had woken up several times throughout the night – did we get the pens for the guest book? Do I have pretty hanger for my dress? Who is bringing my dress? I wonder if Matt is sleeping… – my mind had raced all through the night a million miles a minute.

Bright and early, my sister, cousin and I headed to get our hair done. It was my wedding day! I mean, it really was. I was getting my hair done. I had on my “wedding glasses”.  Cake would be arriving. Photographers would be arriving. GUESTS would be arriving. This was it – this was the day. I couldn’t wait.

I can’t explain the emotion – so ecstatic and so excited, but also a little anxious and a little overwhelmed. I started to feel the pressure of time and the rush of the day but that was quickly erased by our first look.

There was my very soon-to-be husband with his back turned, anxiously awaiting my arrival. I giggled as I walked down the aisle that I would soon be walking down again in a matter of hours. I tapped him on the shoulder and he turned to see me – dressed in a gorgeous gown with make-up and hair done… for him. After that moment of embrace and conversation, any anxiety I was feeling was erased. I was ready, he was ready – this was the day. We had been waiting for it for over 5 years and it was finally here. We were ready to become husband and wife – to really start our life together.

We spent hours with our photographer, wedding party & families to be sure we captured the day perfectly. Let me tell you – we did. Our amazing photographer captured moments of our day that we will treasure for the rest of our lives. Moments that fill my heart with joy every time I look at them.

The ceremony began. My bridesmaids and flower girls were in the back of the church with me – along with my dad and my Aunt Becky who coordinated our day for us (and did a great job too). My dad asked me if I was ready and I was. I was so ready.

The family had been seated. The unity candle had been lit by our mothers. The minister, groom & groomsmen were ready and, so, the music began. In went the bridesmaids one at a time. Next was my sweet flower girl… and then I heard it. Cannon in D – that was my queue, it was time. The two back doors swung open in unison and, with my dad by my side, I began down the aisle. I tried to absorb as much as I could – this was the first time I had seen the church full of guests, all standing and smiling. But then, I saw HIM. My groom. Standing at the front of the church, eyes swelling with the most perfect smile on his face. He was so handsome. I waved to him with the hand that was resting on my dad’s arm and he waved back. I giggled down the aisle – I didn’t cry, just giggled. It was perfect. Every time I hear Cannon in D now, the memories and feelings of that moment come rushing back and my eyes can’t help but fill with (happy) tears.

And then, my dad put my hand in Matt’s and we were prepared to make the most important promises we would make in our lives. To love one another no matter what comes in our lives – good times and bad times. To support each other and lift each other up. To pray for one another. To love Christ first. To build a marriage the way God intended. To become one.

We celebrated after the ceremony. I couldn’t stop smiling. I remember thinking “these are the people who love us” – never in our lives have we been surrounded at one time by the people that love us from so many different walks of life, from near and far. Loved ones from his family, from my family, from church homes, from childhood, from high school and from college. Of course, there were those who were not able to be with us but we could feel their love from afar. It feels so good to be surrounded by people who love you and support you – who want to witness your vows to one another and celebrate your love and new marriage. It makes your heart overflow with joy and gratitude.

When Matt and I left that night, I could truly say that I had experienced the best day of my life. From sun up to sun down, I felt loved and joyful. I began that day as ‘me’ and I ended that day as a ‘we’. I made promises to Matt. Matt made promises to me. Before God and all of our loved ones, we committed to a lifetime with each other – to have and to hold, as long as we both shall live.

~

And here we are a year later – celebrating that day and celebrating our love and celebrating our marriage as the best blessing God has ever given us.

I can’t believe it has been a year. I can’t believe how much we have grown together during our first year of marriage. I can’t believe all of the new things life has allowed us to experience. I can’t believe how much more I love my husband today than I did a year ago. I can’t believe it.



No comments: